When Frugality Is Not a Virtue
Passage: Malachi 3:6–12
- The passage this week begins with a reminder that our very survival depends on God’s unchanging character. How have you seen this proven true in your own life?
- As the hymn says we are “prone to wander.” What are the areas in your life of which God would say “return to me”?
- The biggest accusation in this passage is that the people are robbing God by disregarding the Old Testament commands for tithing. What are the New Testament standards of giving that apply to us today?
- When you think about being faithful to the New Testament standards of giving, what fears, desires, or excuses most often get in the way of that?
- Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-11. What are the promises attached to generosity? What does this perspective do for your motivation for giving?
Here are the sermon links Pastor Mike mentioned for learning more on the New Testament principles of giving:
Dick High, “The Grace of Giving,” June 21, 2015.
Josh Black, “Is Tithing a New Testament Command?,” April 12, 2015.
Mike Andrus, “Generating a Spirit of Generosity,” January 22, 2006.
Mike Andrus, “Giving: What’s In It For Me?,” February 5, 2006.